Walk da Rock this Summer!
With the lighter nights and better weather on its way, now is a great time to get out and about and enjoy exploring your community or another area of Shetland you maybe aren’t so familiar with - if you've forgotten how to be an explorer or want to get the kids on board the RSPB have some good activity ideas and guides of things to look/listen out for on their website here.
Healthy Shetland have a few walks planned throughout the summer which everybody is welcome along to. All our walks are between 20-30 minutes long and although anyone of any ability is more than welcome we always try to make sure our walks are suitable for people who are maybe new to activity or just getting back into it.
All walks are free to attend and will be led by a trained walk leader.
Here is a list of some of the walks we have planned in the next few months;
- Monthly buggy walks – Friday, 9:45am, leaving from the library (Lerwick)
- Weekly walks – Saturday, 11am, leaving from the Bigton shop
- Weekly walks (for a block of 5 weeks) – Starting Wednesday 31st May, 7:15pm, leaving from the Sandwick youth club building
- Monthly walks – Thursday, 7pm, leaving from the Nesting School
- Fortnightly walks – Sunday, 10am, leaving from the Nesting school
For more information on these and any updates follow us on our Healthy Shetland facebook page.
We also have some Big Fit Walks planned for June. These walks are promoted through Paths for All - a Scottish organisation trying to help people get more active in Scotland. Anybody can lead one of these walks and free materials are available to help you promote a Big Fit Walk if you'd like to organise one in your community or workplace - to find out more or get in touch with Paths for All click here. The Big Fit Walks are also free to attend and are 20-30 minutes long. Some Big Fit Walks planned in Shetland already are;
- 17th June, 2pm, leaving from the old helipad at Clickimin
- 18th June, 1:45pm, leaving from Cunningsburgh Hall
If you would like more information about any of the walks please get in-touch with us by phone on 01595807494 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you're organising your own Big Fit Walk we'd love to hear about it, please let us know!